The Europa League Semifinal challenge is set. Inter is the only Italian Serie A team remaining in the European competition. It is the moment of truth and no time for mistakes. Inter must win the one-legged Europa League Semifinals game against Shakhtar Donetsk on Monday 17 August 2020 at the Düsseldorf Arena in Dusseldorf, Germany at 21:00.
Inter’s official website presented the 10 things to know about Shakhtar Donetsk:
1. Shakhtar were founded in 1936 in the then Soviet Union as “Stakhanovets” after Aleksei Stakhanov, a coal-miner in the Donets Basin region and propaganda celebrity, before adopting the name Shakhtyor a decade later.
2. They won their first Ukrainian league title in 2002 under the guidance of Italian coach Nevio Scala.
3. Former Nerazzurri coach Mircea Lucescu enjoyed a 12-year spell at the club and even led the Miners to European glory in 2009, when they beat Werder Bremen 2-1 in the UEFA Cup final in Istanbul.
4. Shakhtar have been attracting Brazilian talents for some time now: Willian, Fernandinho, Douglas Costa, Elano, Luiz Adriano and Alex Teixeira are just a few of the South American giants’ products to play for the club. Currently, there are eleven Brazilian players in the squad.
5. Due to the Russo-Ukrainian war, the club have been playing across three different cities since 2014 – Lviv, Kharkiv and more recently, Kiev, where they were also forced to move their team HQ and training facilities. The beautiful and modern Donbass Arena has remained unused and closed to the public ever since.
6. Inter are unbeaten against Ukrainian teams, with a record of 5 wins and 3 draws in 8 games, and eliminated Shakhtar from the Champions League qualifying round in 2005, advancing into the group stage. They have played Dinamo Kiev four times (two wins, two draws, and Dnipro twice (two wins).)
7. Shakhtar, on the other hand, have a record of 7 wins, 2 draws and 15 defeats against Italian teams, having faced Juventus, Milan, Lazio, Roma, Napoli, Vicenza and Atalanta in Europe.
8. Current head coach Luis Castro succeeded his Portuguese compatriot Paulo Fonseca on the Shakhtar bench as the latter departed for Roma last summer.
9. The Ukrainian champions are unbeaten in the five games they’ve played in this season’s Europa League, winning four and scoring at least 2 goals in each of them with an average of 2-8 goals per game.
10. Just like Romelu Lukaku, Junior Moraes has scored six goals in European competitions this season, and topped the Ukrainian Premier League goalscoring chart with 20 goals to his name.
Buy Inter Tickets
It is Referee Szymon Marciniak from Poland to direct the game Inter vs Shakhtar Donetsk. Referee Marciniak will be assisted by Paweł Sokolnicki (POL) and Tomasz Listkiewicz (POL). The Fourth official will be William Collum (SCO). The Video Assistant Referee will be Pawel Gil (POL). The Assistant Video Assistant Referee will be Tomasz Kwiatkowski (POL).
🕵️♂️ | CLOSER LOOK
— Inter (@Inter_en) August 15, 2020
INTER – SHAKHTAR DONETSK
Semi-finals ( one-legged )
Monday 17 August 2020
Referee: Szymon Marciniak (POL)
Assistant referees: Paweł Sokolnicki (POL) and Tomasz Listkiewicz (POL)
Fourth official: William Collum (SCO)
Video Assistant Referee: Pawel Gil (POL)
Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Tomasz Kwiatkowski POL